Author Topic: U.S Citizen working in Mexico  (Read 648 times)

retired82

• Global Moderator
  • I was a soldier, I will always be a soldier
U.S Citizen working in Mexico
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »
Letter from employee working for  U.S telecommunication company in Mexico:

For anyone thinking we are being too hard on our illegals......READ THIS!!! and the comments also.

American working in Mexico

From the other side of the fence...

Received the following from Tom O'Malley, who was a  Director with S.W. BELL in Mexico City:

"I spent five years working in Mexico. I worked under  a tourist Visa for three months and could
legally renew it  for three more months. After that you were working  illegally. I was technically
illegal for three weeks of waiting on the FM3 approval.

"During that six months our Mexican and U.S. attorneys  were working to secure a permanent
work visa called a  'FM3'. It was in addition to my U.S. passport that I had to show each time I
entered and left the country.  Barbara's was the same, except hers did not permit her  to work.

"To apply for the FM3, I needed to submit the  following notarized originals (not copies):

1. Birth certificate for Barbara and me.
 2. Marriage certificate.
 3. High school transcripts and proof of graduation.
 4. College transcripts for every college I attended and
 proof of graduation.
 5. Two letters of recommendation from supervisors I had
 worked for at least one year.
 6. A letter from the St. Louis Chief of Police indicating
 that I had no arrest record in the U.S. and no outstanding
 warrants and, was "a citizen in good standing".
 7. "Finally, I had to write a letter about myself
 that clearly stated why there was no Mexican citizen with
 my skills and why my skills were important to Mexico. We
 called it our 'I am the greatest person on Earth'
 letter. It was fun to write."

"All of the above were in English that had to be  translated into Spanish and be certified as legal 
translations, and our signatures notarized. It produced a  folder about 1.5 inches thick with English
on the left side & Spanish on the right."

"Once they were completed Barbara and I spent about  five hours, accompanied by a Mexican attorney,
touring  Mexican government office locations and being photographed  and fingerprinted at least three times at
each location, and we remember at least four locations where we were instructed on Mexican tax, labor,
housing, and criminal law  and that we were required to obey their laws or face the  consequences. We could not
protest any of the  government's actions or we would be committing a felony. We paid out four thousand dollars
in fees and  bribes to complete the process. When this was done we could  legally bring in our household
goods that were held by U.S. Customs in Laredo, Texas. This meant we had rented  furniture in Mexico
while awaiting our goods. There were extensive fees involved here that the company paid."

"We could not buy a home and were required to rent at  very high rates and under contract and compliance
with  Mexican law."

"We were required to get a Mexican driver's  license. This was an amazing process. The company arranged
for the licensing agency to come to our headquarters  location with their photography and fingerprint equipment
 and the laminating machine. We showed our U.S. license,  were photographed and fingerprinted again and issued the
license instantly after paying out a six dollar fee. We did  not take a written or driving test and never received
instructions on the rules of the road. Our only instruction was to never give a policeman your license if stopped and
asked. We were instructed to hold it against the inside  window away from his grasp. If he got his hands on i
 you  would have to pay ransom to get it back. "

"We then had to pay and file Mexican income tax  annually using the number of our FM3 as our ID number.
The  company's Mexican accountants did this for us and we  just signed what they prepared. It was about
twenty legal  size pages annually."

"The FM3 was good for three years and renewable for two more after paying more fees."

"Leaving the country meant turning in the FM3 and  certifying we were leaving no debts behind and no
outstanding legal affairs (warrants, tickets or liens)  before our household goods were released to customs."

"It was a real adventure and if any of our Senators or  Congressmen went through it once they would have a
different  attitude toward Mexico."

"The Mexican government uses its vast military and  police forces to keep its citizens intimidated and compliant.
They never protest at their capitol or  government offices, but do protest daily in front of the United States Embassy.
The U.S. Embassy looks like a  strongly reinforced fortress and during most protests the  Mexican military
surrounds the block with their men  standing shoulder to shoulder in full riot gear to protect the Embassy. These
protests are never shown on U.S. or  Mexican TV. There is a large public park across the street  where they do
their protesting.  Anything can cause a  protest such as proposed law changes in California or Texas."

Additional comments:

You may have seen in today's paper, where the North Koreans torpedoed a South Korean ship they said
invaded their waters.  Canadians don't seem to have much regard for US citizens, The French hate us....
Countries around the world protest against us.  The Iranians have held, and continue to hold people that
may stray across their borders, and we have 13 million or more illegal's in this country that are helping
to bankrupt us with benefits, food, crime, and education demands.  Now they want to claim portions of
the US we bought and paid them for, as part of Mexico.  http://www.gadsdenpurchase.com/ (and that's
not even all of it)

In the midst of all this, the governemnt of the United States (our President in particular) is incapable of
securing our borders, refuses to do anything about the illegals (except wanting to make them citizens so
they can vote) here, and criticizes the state of Arizona for wanting to enforce a law that is identical to
the Federal statute, but gives the state the right to act on their behalf!

I'm of the opinion that we need 49 more state laws just like this one, and if in the course of human events,
a few get racially profiled.........too bad they did not come here legally......then they would have rights to
complain about.  Seems that most of the world takes their borders seriously, and yet everyone is fighting
to get into this country. 

We need to wake up people..........we're almost out of time, or are we just that stupid?  Our system is so
easy to attack, we just don't (or won't) seem to know how to defend it. 

Dying for your country is not the worse thing that can happen..being forgotten is.

Eydie

Re: U.S Citizen working in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »
Sounds like you might be happier in Mexico.

Retired LEO

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
Eydie, sounds like you missed the whole point in what was said!

Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 12:54:57 AM »
Eydie, sounds like you missed the whole point in what was said!

Agree.  ;D