News: Got friends? Invite them to this forum! We need to grow!

Author Topic: Does Bell Get A Pension?  (Read 394 times)

Trapped In Jonesboro

Does Bell Get A Pension?
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
I have been told by someone who should know that Bell will receive a life time pension in the amount of $2,500 per month for life.  He gets it because he was elected to 2 consecutive terms.  Is this true?  If so, who pays the pension and is this just a CC thing or something bigger?  Under what circumstances do they get a pension and why?

If this is true, no wonder they want to be politicians!!

Retired LEO

• Concerned Citizens
Re: Does Bell Get A Pension?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
1-He already gets a pension check from Atlanta, where he first retired.
2-Most elected officials have access to pension funds through organizations created in their particular area of service. For example, Sheriffs can participate in the fund owned and operated by the Ga Sheriffs' Association. I am not familiar with its specifics or particulars.
3-As for CC, the first question to be answered would be "was he allowed to participate in the county retirement program?" If so, then he would be entitled to a pension check; which, given his age, he would likely begin to draw starting in January 2013. A second question coming on the heels of the first would be "did the county also contribute to his retirement in like fashion as it does for employees?" If so, WHY? He was not an employee.
4-Further, is there a separate retirement program available to chairman of the board of commissioners? If so, does it get funding beyond whatever contributions made by the person?
5-Lastly, is it in his contract? I remember years ago asking why the chairman always got a new car EVERY year. I was told by more than one person "it's in his contract".
I think it would be interesting if someone were to pursue the matter as a part of an open records request.

Trapped In Jonesboro

Re: Does Bell Get A Pension?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
I understand about the LEO pensions but I was inquiring if this was from CC or some other place.  Regardless I don't see where a politician deserves a pension just because he got elected twice.