News: Got friends? Invite them to this forum! We need to grow!

Author Topic: Commissioners Sitting on $208.3 million in Our Unspent SPLOST Money  (Read 710 times)

Sgt Rock

• Contains Satire, Parody or Opinion
As reported in a fine article by News-Daily reporter Curt Yeomans, it seems once again the taxpayers have been duped this time by the SPLOST.

County Commission is sitting on $208.3 million pf OUR money that was supossed to be spent on improvements to the County yet lay dormant. 

Time to Give-em-the-Boot

By Curt Yeomans

JONESBORO — Clayton County Republican Party President Carl Swensson has blasted the county commission for sitting on $208.3 million in sales tax funds collected since 2004 for recreation centers and transportation and safety projects.

Swensson confronted the commission at its meeting last week about the unused funds. Commissioners sat quietly and did not respond to his accusations, however.

Swensson later produced Wells Fargo bank statements for each SPLOST account. They show the account for the $240 million SPLOST approved in 2003 to fund construction of recreation centers still has a balance of $115.7 million. The total represents nearly half of the money collected through that tax.

The bank statement for the account holding funds from the $350 million transportation and public safety SPLOST approved in 2008 shows a balance of $92.6 million.

“It should be noted that better-run counties maintain little in their SPLOST fund accounts because, unlike Clayton, they actually use them to improve their roads and spend them for the purposes they were originally intended,” said Swensson.

Swensson’s accusations resurrect claims made in 2008 by then-Clayton County NAACP President Dexter Matthews. Matthews called for voters to reject the 2008 SPLOST proposal, claiming the county had not delivered on items promised when the 2003 SPLOST was approved.

Most notably, Matthews argued the county still hadn’t built two of the five recreation centers promised through the 2003 SPLOST.

“Right now, they have not given us anything,” said Matthews in the Feb. 4, 2008, edition of Clayton News Daily. “They just want us to trust them.”

Commission Chairman Eldrin Bell responded by saying, “It is inconceivable how any organization, group or individual could opt to spend taxpayers money ... on capital improvement and not use the instrument provided to us by the state to raise money to do capital improvement.”

Bell said at the time the construction on the two remaining recreation centers would begin by the end of February 2008.

Construction did not begin on the first of those two centers until this year.

Election results show 59.2 percent of Clayton County voters voted to approve the 2008 SPLOST. It was intended to fund the construction of a new juvenile justice center three new police precincts, a multipurpose fire training facility, two new libraries, a senior center for the southwest part of the county and infrastructure projects in the county’s seven cities.

Of those county-level projects, land has been bought for one new police precinct but only the juvenile justice center and a replacement facility for the Forest Park library are under construction.

http://www.news-daily.com/news/2012/aug/14/gop-leader-county-sitting-splost-money/

gettingoutofclayco

Re: Commissioners Sitting on $208.3 million in Our Unspent SPLOST Money
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »
If the money is in the acct...why dont they use it ? I dont understand what they stand to gain by leaving it there ? is someone skimming off the top ?....but thats a lot of money to skim and have no one notice.

I love the part when Swensson say "better-run counties". Swensson needs to be in office here in CC.

prevere

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
This whole situation concerning these inept (at best) or criminal (at worst) representatives is exploding in their faces. With the recent formation of the Clayton County Citizens Oversight Committee (CCCOC and we have a FB page) and actions beginning 8/21/2012 by this group we will begin to take back what is being and has been stolen from us. We start with open records requests on every withdrawal they've made from the 2004 SLPOST account for 2010 and 2011 and just follow the money but there is so very much more for us to do and only by having an army of concerned Citizens will we root out the corruption. Yes, it is systemic.
I'm sick and tired of hearing how they are allocating money for this consulting firm or that contract research group with ties back to friends and family members. Sure seems like Ethics were never bred into this lot but petty crime apparently was. With the dollar amounts now involved it seems as if they've graduated from petty to serious. The paper trail is there, we're investigating it and the more we find out, the angrier we get.
We'll put together some nice neat little packages for Tracy Lawson and make sure that where a crime has been committed by the BOC, criminal prosecution will soon follow.
I do wish more of you would show up at these meetings (the first three Tuesdays of every month). We need that BOC bldg packed and more concerned Citizens getting actively involved.
The CCCOC is meeting at 6:00 (at the BOC meeting room), just prior to there meeting and action items will be given out to those who are seriously wanting to get Clayton County out of the daily news cycle in the Atlanta region, bringing responsible leadership to our County.
Join up by EMailing me at Workingforabettercounty2012@gmail.com or call me at 678-438-6138 and let's grow this movement so that other Counties will look to us as an example of what an active/involved Citizenry can accomplish.

Carl Swensson

wayne

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »
All this money sitting while the school system is increasing class sizes and laying off educators due to a lack of funds. This is why I voted against this thing in 2008. It's nothing but a scam perpetrated on the uninformed voters. They never needed all this money to began with. When I looked at the things they wanted this splost for in 2008, I could tell they were desperately reaching for things to spend it on. One of the projects was the clayton riverdale police precinct. It hadn't been that long since they bought this old funeral home and completely remodeled it now they want to replace it? I hope this recent rejection of the regional splost is a sign that the people are finally waking up to the game. 

Magic Micheal

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
If the money is in the acct...why dont they use it ? I dont understand what they stand to gain by leaving it there ? is someone skimming off the top ?....but thats a lot of money to skim and have no one notice.

I love the part when Swensson say "better-run counties". Swensson needs to be in office here in CC.

I was told that after 10 years, any unused SPLOST funds revert back to the general fund. Does anyome know if this is true and can cite the statute or law that makes it so?   ???

Sgt Rock

• Contains Satire, Parody or Opinion
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »
http://www.accg.org/library/SPLOST_guidebook.pdf

Many things can be done with SPLOST funds outside of projects for which they were advertised.

Wole Ralph lied on the evening of 16 August at the Rhodenizer Center when he told the audience that the funds must be spent on committed projects.  This is not true.  The funds can be spent on other things for which the taxpayer has been deceived.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:25:38 PM by Sgt Rock »